WHAT WE DO
What do we need to get there?
The Global Initiative for Cancer Registry Development in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (GICR) estimates a minimum investment of 5 million US dollars over 5 years to make a difference in national and regional capacity to generate information for cancer control purposes.
To date, several cancer-related organizations have provided seed funding to support initial GICR activities, but fundraising efforts are continuing, to allow GICR to develop to its full potential. Please contact if you wish to make a financial or in-kind contribution to GICR.
We ask supporting partners to commit for a minimum of 3 years, so that solid foundations can be established. Examples of engagement include support to:
- one or more regional hubs
- one or more cancer registries
- one or more regional networks of cancer registries to facilitate collaborative initiatives, data sharing and joint analyses
- training activities and the development of tailored training material to improve the technical and managerial capacity of cancer data professionals
- the development of the open source, population-based cancer registration software CanReg to offer additional tools for cancer registries
- the production and dissemination of local, regional and global data for their full use by national and international stakeholders
- awareness programmes to sensitize national authorities and international stakeholders on the fundamental role played by cancer registries in cancer control
A steadily increasing number of individuals and institutions endorse and contribute their expertise to GICR. We would be delighted to count on you as well - please visit this page to join.